PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Application and Scope
Definition of Personal Information
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We collect most of our information about you directly from you, with your consent when required by law. For example, when you take a test drive, online request an appointment or vehicle quote, purchase or lease a vehicle, or service your vehicle, Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac will collect information about you. We may also conduct contests, quizzes, surveys, promotions and offer several forms of personalized services such as vehicle warranty, servicing and maintenance and OnStar services, in respect of which you may be requested to provide personal information, such as name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, age and other information that may be required to provide or administer these services or promotions.
[We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties, with your consent. For example, for credit evaluation purposes, we may need to determine your creditworthiness through contact with an independent credit reporting agency.]
Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac generally collects personal information from or about its customers and other individuals with whom it deals, and thereafter uses it, for the following purposes:
- to establish, develop and preserve its business relationship respectively with its customers and other individuals with whom it deals;
- to create, establish and administer customers’ accounts and to respond to customer or supplier inquiries;
- to provide the products or services that it offers, or receive the products or services that it requests, and ensure that all related transactions are supported and implemented;
- to authenticate the identity and preserve the privacy of customers contacting Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac by telephone, electronic means or otherwise;
- to conduct market analysis, as well as for internal training and quality assurance purposes;
- [as necessary, to establish or verify the credit of persons that use, or intend to purchase, one or more of the products or services offered by Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac];
- to manage its General Motors Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac business and ensure the efficiency, reliability and security of its systems and networks;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements and allow %DEALER_NAME % to meet contractual requirements relating to the products and services provided to customers;
- to ensure its records are accurate and to protect customers and Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac from error and fraud;
- to understand and assess the interests, wants and changing needs of customers with a view to improving its products and services and developing new ones;
- to provide personalized products and services as well as product recommendations to customers; and
- subject to our customers’ Right to Withdraw Consent, to conduct surveys on the quality of our products, services or customer service or to provide our customers with offers for additional products and services that we feel may be of interest to our customers or that we believe meet our customers’ changing needs.
- If you have applied for employment with Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac, the personal information submitted with your job application will be used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, we may send you information about new job opportunities within Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac as well as other career development resources.
Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac obtains consent from the individuals concerned for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information through various means: verbally or through written documents, including agreements, forms including vehicle purchase/leasing forms and repair orders, welcome kits as well as printed or electronic communications. The form of consent sought by Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac will vary according to the sensitivity of the personal information, the reasonable expectations of the individuals and any requirements or standards established by law.
- In certain circumstances, personal information may be collected, used or disclosed without consent. These exceptional circumstances may include:
- where it is clearly in the interest of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, such as in emergencies, where the life, health or safety of the individual is threatened, or where legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to obtain consent;
- when information is being collected, used or shared for the detection, prevention of or remediation to, the breach of an agreement, fraud or other illegal activity, and the collection of consent might defeat the purpose of collecting the information;
- to collect a debt; and
- to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order, or as may be otherwise required or authorized by law or by any regulatory bodies having jurisdiction.
Right to Withdraw Consent
Consent may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice; however, without such consent, Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac may be limited in the services or products it is able to provide customers. You may also withdraw your consent as follows:
- Mail marketing, Telephone marketing and Quality control communications. You may decide that you prefer Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac not to use your personal information to promote new and/or additional products and services which may be of interest to you and refuse further Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac contact by mail or telephone for marketing purposes or by email or telephone for quality control purposes. If this is the case, you may advise us by contacting customer service or contacting us using the information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
- Commercial Electronic Communications. You can always limit the communications that Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac sends to you. To opt out of commercial emails, simply click the link labeled ‘unsubscribe’ or ‘opt out’ at the bottom of any commercial electronic communication we send you. Please note that even if you opt out of promotional communications, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account or for other purposes as may be permitted or required under applicable laws. If you have any questions about your choices or if you need any assistance with opting out, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
Sharing of Personal Information
- Third party or affiliated service providers. We may hire service providers, which may be affiliates, to perform services on our behalf. This may include, without limitation, a person or an organization retained by Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac to perform work on its behalf. We provide them with a limited amount of information which is necessary in order for them to provide the services required. They are prohibited from using the information for purposes other than to facilitate and carry out the services they have been engaged to provide. These service providers are not permitted to disclose this information to others.
- As permitted or required by law. From time to time, Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or inquiry. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful or to law enforcement and emergency services providers, in an emergency or where required or permitted by law. We may release certain personal information when we have reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves, in accordance with or as authorized by law.
Website Privacy [Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac TO DETERMINE WHAT APPLIES TO Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac SHIP ONLINE ACTIVITY]
Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac generally collects and uses personal information from or about its website visitors and users as follows:
- Information you provide. In many cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you visit or use our website. For instance, we may collect the following types of information:
- Technical information. When you visit our website, we may use electronic means such as cookies to collect technical information. This information may include information about your visit to our website, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our website, your operating system, resolution of screen, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website or enhance the experience for our customers. For instance, it may be used to ensure that the products advertised on our website are available in your area or that we are not showing you the same ads repeatedly. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information. We also collect and use the following information when you visit and/or interact with us on our website:
- Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics which allows us to see information on user website activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt out page.
- [Google AdWords: We use Google AdWords Remarketing to advertise Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac across the Internet and to advertise on third party websites (including Google) to previous visitors to our website. AdWords remarketing will display ads to you based on what parts of the Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac website you have viewed by placing a cookie on your web browser. It could mean that we advertise to previous visitors who haven’t completed a task on our site or this could be in the form of an advertisement on the Google search results page, or a site in the Google Display Network. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is only used to indicate to other websites that you have visited a particular page on our website, so that they may show you ads relating to that page. If you do not wish to participate in our Google AdWords Remarketing, you can opt out by visiting Google’s Ads Preferences Manager].
- [Behavioural Advertising. Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac does not allow third-party cookies on its website for purposes of delivering third parties’ advertising based on preferences or interests known or inferred from the data collected for advertising purposes (often referred to as Online Behavioural Advertising or OBA).]
Personal Information Outside of Canada
In some cases, personal information that we manage may be transferred, processed and stored outside Canada, and therefore may be available to government authorities under lawful orders and laws applicable outside of Canada. Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac will strive to protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements requiring that those third parties adhere to confidentiality and security procedures and protections that are, at a minimum, equivalent to those employed by Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac itself.
Security of Personal Information
We will use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access. Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac has implemented security measures that contain administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your personal information.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes or for a purpose required or permitted by law, will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac has developed and implemented retention procedures, and will ensure destruction of personal information in a method that prevents improper access.
Access and Correction
Strickland’s Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac respects your right to access and correct your personal information. If you need assistance updating your personal information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
How to Contact Us
Strickland’s collects three kinds of information from this Website:
(1) Voluntarily provided personal information;
(2) Anonymous non-personal information; and
(3) “Cookie” based information.
(1) Personal Information:
Strickland’s does not automatically collect personal information, such as name, address, phone number, email address, Internet Protocol Address (IP Address) and other personally identifiable information, from its visitors.
From time to time, Strickland’s will collect Personal Information that is voluntarily provided by its visitors, inquiring about products and/or services, and other activities carried out on the Website.
Strickland’s will only collect and use such Personal Information solely for the purpose(s) disclosed by Strickland’s at the time of collection.
Strickland’s also occasionally uses email addresses that have been voluntarily provided; to respond to visitors who communicate with us, to inform winners of contests or to subscribe to newsletters. All emails from Strickland’s to its visitors include instructions on how to discontinue receipt of emails, newsletters and other communication from Strickland’s; and visitors can discontinue such communication at any time.
Email addresses from visitors who wish to discontinue receipt of Strickland’s emails will be removed from Strickland’s distribution list. All personal information collected with the visitor’s consent by Strickland’s; is not disclosed in any identifiable form to any other party outside of the company, except for the fulfillment of the specific purpose identified to the visitor at the time of collection. Strickland’s will only release personally identifiable information as is reasonably necessary to satisfy and/or comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
Strickland’s may disclose information in anonymous, aggregated and non-personally identifiable forms to other parties for marketing, advertising or other purposes and to better understand visitor’s use of the Website. At any time, a visitor may send an email to email@example.com to request that Personal Information be removed or updated.
Strickland’s may use, and share this information with General Motors of Canada Company (“GMCC”), Strickland’s and GMCL related companies and their respective business partners (further information available on request) in order to provide you with and improve automotive related products and services that you have or may purchase (including warranty, repairs, owner notifications, service reminders), for the purpose of reselling an automobile given as a trade-in, and to send you marketing material such as GMCL product and service information, updates , promotional offers/coupons, contests and other information that may be of interest to you.
(2) Anonymous Non-Personal Information:
When visitors visit the Website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. Such information may include the length and date of the visit, how the visitor navigated the Website, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser being used by the visitor, the type of operating system used by the visitor, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet Service Provider. Strickland’s uses web analytics services, Google Analytics, and other related websites, programs and software to collect this Anonymous Non-Personal Information and to track the success of its Website with its visitors; to better tailor the Website to visitors’ needs and interests. This Anonymous Non-Personal Information may be shared with other parties, such as broadcasters, advertisers, sponsors and partners. Google offers an opt-out for its Analytics collection here by installing this browser add-on.
(3) Cookie-based Information:
Protection of Visitors’ Personal Information: Strickland’s protects the Personal Information it collects from unauthorized disclosure or use; with appropriate technological, physical and administrative safeguards.
Visitors should ensure that they read and understand how their Personal Information may be collected, used, and disclosed by the linked websites; as Strickland’s is not responsible and shall not be held liable for any procedures, policies or activities of any third party websites or applications such as Strickland’s instant messaging feature; linked to the Strickland’s site.